Monday, June 15, 2015

Soul Unison

I just got back from my first wedding experience.

It was very nice. I have never seen two people look happier in my entire life. The ceremony was short but sweet (Protestants don't have a mass) and the reception was something out of this world. At the Boston Museum of Science, of all places! Creative, interesting, and fun. The food was great! Never before have I had a bite sized hamburger, and possibly never again will I have one.

Weddings are truly a beautiful thing. A marriage of two souls, a unison of being, a lifetime of commitment through thick and thin, a true declaration of love.

Now, the realist in me: I have no doubts about my cousin's love for his recent wife, but the ceremony brought to mind a terrible realization that these supposed-to-be lifelong bonds are broken all too often in our society and in our generation. After witnessing the process firsthand, I can't help but feel broken by the fact that divorce is so commonplace these days. In A Man for All Seasons, Thomas Moore is utterly appalled that King Henry would ask to break these sacred bonds. What would he think of our society today?

Love is not a concept to be trifled with or taken lightly. It's a lifelong commitment - you stick with it for good, through good times and bad, you forgive, you love wholly and truly. My train of thought is not outdated or idealistic, as some may argue, as love and the sanctity of marriage are timeless and meant to remain unbroken, even in hardship. I have seen so many people take marriage with a grain of salt, or even denounce it entirely; truly, we have lost our way as a society if this is how people see the world, and how they view the concept of love and commitment to one another.

Here I am, speaking about such depressing things in the aftermath of a wedding. The sheer joy I witnessed led me to think that such a sacred experience should never, ever be treated with anything less than the utmost reverence. So, back to happy thoughts. I am extremely happy for and proud of my cousin for achieving this monumental milestone in his life, and I wish him the absolute best going forward.




No comments:

Post a Comment